Whiteley Primary School

Young Governors

Young Governors at Whiteley Primary School

About Young Governors

Any pupil from (Year 2 – Year 6) can put themselves forward to be their class representative. After preparing and presenting a speech the class then vote for who they would like to represent their class.

Pupils at Whiteley know that this is their school and their thoughts and ideas matter and so we have both a Class Council and the Young Governors.  These are in place so that pupils have a voice and are involved in decisions about the school that affect them.  Through Class Council all pupils can raise issues, share ideas and take part in discussions that involve all their classmates in reaching a democratic solution.  Wider issues that arise during Class Council are discussed further at Young Governors this ensures that as many pupil voices as possible are heard.

Please keep your eye on this page for updates on projects that we are involved in and decisions that we have made.

January 2020

This month we met our link governor – Lisa Ireland. Lisa’s role is to be the link between ourselves and the governors. She explained to us that one of our jobs for the year was to be ‘Health and safety advocates’. A small group of us were selected and it is going to be our job to report any possible health and safety issues around the school. We will be going on a walk around the school grounds in the next week, if you see any safety issues please report it to your Young Governor who can then report this to our team. We want your school to be the safest it can be.

An issue that was reported to us through the Class Council meetings was that some people feel that they’re missing out on a lot of playtime because they’re spending so long in the queue waiting to buy their tuck. We will monitor the situation and if we feel it is necessary, we will speak to the kitchen staff and see if we can work together to reduce the time you are waiting in the queue.

Some classes have also said that they feel they don’t have enough wet play toys in their classroom. We will see if we can get any donations to share around the school.

 

December 2019

Our main aim of the meeting was to discuss the charity we would support for Christmas Jumper Day. Having already asked each class for a nomination of a charity we then decided on our top three. The Wessex Cancer Trust, The Blue Cross and Ronald McDonald House were the chosen three. We will now ask all the classes in the school to vote for their favourite and then this vote will decide which charity we will support as a school. Watch this space and make sure you remember your donations on Christmas Jumper Day.

We discussed the proposal that we gave to Mrs Pennington to allow siblings to play together and have said that we will keep an eye out for any issues that arise – we hope that you’ll enjoy playing with your siblings every Friday.

December (part 2)

The Blue Cross were the chosen charity for Christmas jumper day.

 

November 2019

We held our meeting on November 7th.

  • Mrs Pennington came along so we could talk to her about brothers and sisters being able to play together. She suggested that we came up with an idea of how this would work without the problems we’ve had in the past. We’re going to have another meeting with a smaller group of us so that we can put together a proposal of how we could trial siblings being allowed to play with each other… watch this space!
  • Jess and her team have found a few areas of fences that need fixing so they will write a letter to Mr Butcher to see if they can be fixed.

 

October 2019

We held our meeting on 7th October and had lots to discuss: nearly all classes had some points to raise from their class council meetings. These are some of the main issues.

  • A few classes have noticed that there are a few areas of fences that are broken, we will go out and look to see if this is a real problem and then we will ask Mr Butcher if he could fix them.
  • More play equipment for breaktimes was raised a few times. We will look into the possibility of holding a fundraiser to raise some money and then we will find out what equipment you would all like.
  • KS1 have said that they would like a few more clubs. We will talk to the teachers to see if they’re planning on running anymore.
  • Both Key stage 1 and Key stage 2 have said that they would like to be able to play with their brothers and sisters at lunchtime. We will ask Mrs Pennington and see what she says.
  • Both year 3 and year 6 have said that the locks on the girls’ toilets don’t work properly. We’ll have a look at these and see if we think that they need to be fixed.
  • Year 6 have asked if they can have air fresheners in the toilets….. we will ask the question.

 

September 2019

We now have our new group of Young Governors for this academic year. Well done to everyone who was selected.